FAQ / Training Links
GENERAL USE INFORMATION
What is the difference between my EAB and SSC accounts?
Your Student Success Collaborative (SSC) account enables you to access the advising platform for your institution to view your assigned students. This is separate from your EAB account, which is where you can access best practice research and insights housed at www.eab.com.
How do I log in to the SSC platform?
You can log in to the SSC, by accessing the EAB tab in MyCSU. You should not have to reenter a username and password, but if you do, please use your MyCSU log-in credentials.
How do I register with the Education Advisory Board (EAB) to access the system and review exclusive member only resources?
- Navigate your browser to eab.com
- Click on "Member Login" on the top left-hand corner
- Click "New user?"
Search for Columbus State University and enter your columbusstate.edu email address and other corresponding information to complete your registration
What students are displayed in the SSC platform?
The advising platform supports first-time, bachelor degree seeking students who are currently enrolled in courses. Inactive students are kept in the system for up to 365 days.
Does SSC comply with FERPA?
Yes. CSU is given control over who has access to the SSC platform and has only given access to those with a "legitimate educational interest."
How often is the content in the SSC updated?
Data is pulled directly from Banner and updated each night.
SETTING UP APPOINTMENTS & AVAILABILITY
How do I set up my availability?
Setting up your availability defines the days and times that you are available to meet with students.
To add time:
• Start at the Advisor Home page.
• Click on the "My Availability" tab.
• Click on the "Actions" drop down.
• Select "Add Time"
• Select the days and times when you are available to meet with students.
• Select the type of appointments you are setting up.
- Campaigns: Appointments targeted at a certain student population. For more information see below.
• Choose the location where you will be available.
• Select which student service you will provide to students during these appointments.
• Click the save button.
• Repeat this process if needed.
You also have the option to Copy or Delete Time from the Actions drop down menu.
How to I edit appointment constraints?
You are able to define the parameters that control your availability with appointments. From the "My Availability" tab, click on the "Edit Appointment Constraints" box.
Here you will be able to alter how many hours in advance students are allowed to make appointments and the length of your appointments.
How are appointments scheduled?
The first step to scheduling appointments with students is to make sure that you have availability set-up in EAB (see above).
Students have the ability to schedule their own appointments via the EAB link in MyCSU. We strongly encourage you to allow students to schedule their own appointments. Student instructions for how to schedule appointments are below.
• On the home page, click on "Get Advising" in the blue box on the right hand side.
• From the drop down menu, choose "Academic Advising".
• Choose your reason for meeting. "Academic Advising" is a good catch all reason if yours is not listed. Click Next.
• For location, choose ACE.
• Pick your advisor from the drop down. Click Next. If your advisor is not shown, please double check the advising center and/or contact them for instruction appointments.
• Here you will see available times. Choose your day and morning or afternoon.
• Once you click on morning or afternoon, you are given times to choose from. Click on your selected time, and click Next.
• Enter comments/concerns/questions in the comment box.
• Set up a reminder! We highly suggest the text option!
• Click on Confirm appointment!
How are appointments cancelled?
To cancel an appointment, simply click on the appointment and select "Cancel Appointment" from the Actions drop down menu. On the screen that pops up, select a reason and enter a comment, if needed, and click on the blue cancel appointment button.
What is a campaign?
Campaigns are appointments that are targeted at specific students with specific date and time restrictions.
To set up a campaign:
• Click on "Appointment Campaign" under the Quick Link menu on the right side of the screen in the SSC platform.
• Click on Appointment Campaigns under Options > Create a New Campaign and follow the set up steps.
• On the Define Campaign screen, you will enter the campaign name, type, slots (appointments) per time period, reason, dates, appointment length, and appointment limit (we suggest 1), and location. When done, click on the blue continue button.
• Next you will select the students who you want to include in this campaign. You have several options on how to search and select the students you want to include.
o You can invite all students that are assigned to you. This is great if you are going to run a campaign for during advising.
o You can also do an advanced search for students where you can filter by class CRN, major, classification, tags, etc. Upload the campaign ideas handout
• On the next screen you will have the option to add advisors to the campaign. You will need to select yourself as the advisor for the campaign. If you do not see yourself, then please double check that you have availability available for campaign appointments.
• Next, you will compose your email message to students. You can customize the email subject and add instructions/notes. Please do not erase the intro or appointment schedule link field, as the system will automatically add these in for you.
• Confirm you selected options and click on the blue send button.
ADVISOR NOTES & REPORTS
One of the best features of this platform is that you can make and share notes and reports on students.
However, it is important to note the difference between a report and a note. A report is used to give information about a meeting with a student. Advisors should use the advising report when a student comes in for a meeting. A note is simply something of importance to share or something you would like remember about a student.
How can I view a student's notes and reports?
To view current reports and notes on a student, start at the student profile home page and click on the "Reports/Notes" tab. From here, you can page down and see all notes, reports, alerts, etc. made on a student. Tutoring reports are here as well.
*Any notes added in DegreeWorks will also be visible on the EAB SSC platform under student notes.
How can I make an advising report on a student?
At the bottom of the Advisor Home page is an area called Advisor Reporting. This is where all of your recent advisor appointments are listed. From here you can add an Advising Report to document your appointment and what was discussed during this time. You can also mark the appointment as a No Show or as Cancelled.
Please make sure that you issue all notes on scheduled advising sessions from this Recent Appointment section. There is an option to report on advising from the student's home page, but this should only be used if an appointment was not scheduled.
EARLY ALERT REFERRALS & CASES
Early Alerts are managed by the EAB platform inside your MyCSU portal:
To submit an alert, first log in to your MyCSU portal and click the EAB link on the left hand navigation.
When an alert is created, a case is also automatically created, and an email is generated and sent to the student's advisor, the student, and the designated individual to manage the case. You are able to see and follow alerts/cases, as they will show on the student's EAB profile.
Professors can submit alerts for students in their course(s) by:
1) Navigate to the Professor Home Page in EAB. Here you will see all the courses you are teaching. You will also see a list of all students enrolled in your course(s).
2) To issue an alert for a student, simply click the box next to the student's name. Then click on the Actions drop down menu and select Issue an Alert.
3) A pop up box will appear on your screen. In the first drop down menu, select your reason for issuing the alert. The second drop down will allow you to choose a specific course, if applicable. There is a text box for additional comments, if needed. Click submit and your alert will be created.
Advisors can also submit alerts for individual students by:
1) Navigate to the Advisor Home Page in EAB. Here you will see a list of all students who are assigned to you this semester. * (Please note: Accuracy of this list a direct reflection of automatic advisor assignment.)
You can also search for any student by typing their name or 909 into the search box in the upper right-hand corner.
2)To issue an alert for a student, simply click the box next to the student's name. Then click on the Actions drop down menu and select Issue an Alert.
3) A pop up box will appear on your screen. In the first drop down menu please select your reason for issuing the alert. The second drop down will allow you to choose a specific course, if applicable. There is a text box for additional comments, if needed. Click submit and your alert will be created.
Who should I contact if I have a question about the overall student success initiative and any associated processes or procedures?
Contact Kelly Koch at 706-507-8788 or email@example.com